A Whale Festival, Two Lodging Specials, and a Whale Watching Excursion Make Northern California’s LITTLE RIVER INN a Must-Visit Destination This March
It’s a closely guarded secret that Mendocino County is one of the best spots in the world for whale watching, and the month of March is the best time to observe these majestic ocean creatures from the shoreline as they make their annual migration home to the colder waters of the north, many with baby calves in tow. This March, the Little River Inn (www.LittleRiverInn.com), a family owned and operated resort, invites its guests to partake in the many delights of the 6th Annual, family friendly, LITTLE RIVER WHALE FESTIVAL taking place March 14 & 15, 2015. In addition, the Little River Inn is offering two fabulous lodging specials – the LITTLE RIVER INN WHALE OF A SALE (March 12-15) and the STORM WATCHER RATE promotion (Sun-Thu in March) – to coincide with the migrating of the whales. For those who wish to brave the waves in hopes of seeing one of these magnificent creatures up close, a whale-watching excursion can be added on to any of the Inn’s existing guest packages. Lastly, in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, Little River Inn will go green and offer Irish-inspired fare and live Celtic Music in its Ole’s Whale Watch Bar on March 17, where, as the name implies, it’s been said that a seat at the bar is the best spot on the coast for whale watching.
The sixth annual LITTLE RIVER WHALE FESTIVAL offers lodging specials at properties throughout the seaside town of Little River, CA (including two lodging specials at the Little River Inn), a food and wine tour, family fun activities, and nature adventure all rolled into one weekend! Below is just a sampling of events and experiences inn guests and locals can partake in throughout the weekend:
- Taste of Little River: Hosted on Saturday, March 14, from 1 to 4 p.m., festival goers can sip local wines and nosh on appetizers from participating businesses in and around the small town of Little River. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at registration. Advance tickets can be purchased by calling Little River Inn at 707.937.5942. Includes a keepsake wine glass.
- Kayak Mendocino Sea Cave Tour: Paddle through sea caves and meet the local harbor seals, sea stars, algae, and shorebirds. Tours offered March 14 & 15, ocean permitting, at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Cost is $60 per person. Please call for reservations: 707-813-7117.
- Whale Watch Walk: Saturday, March 14, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Guests can partake in a two-hour guided walk searching for pelagic cormorants, seaside daisies, and or course, whales! Binoculars available. Furry friends welcome, too! Leash required. Free and open to public.
- Adventure Passport: Guests have the opportunity to enter the LITTLE RIVER WHALE FESTIVAL PASSPORT CONTEST. For each festival activity attended guests will earn one sticker. The collection of three or more stickers will allow guests the chance to win lodging, food, and adventure prizes at participating businesses throughout Little River. Passports are available at each festival or event site.
Further information and details regarding the LITTLE RIVER WHALE FESTIVAL can be found by visiting their website. Additional event details, Little River discounts, and specials during the festival can also be found by following the festival’s online map.
On the weekend of the Little River Whale Festival, Little River Inn will be offering its LITTLE RIVER INN WHALE OF A SALE lodging special. Valid for the nights of Thursday, March 12 through Sunday, March 15, 2015, guests who book a two-night stay during these dates will receive a third night free. LITTLE RIVER INN WHALE OF A SALE is offered on all room types based upon availability. Room rates start at $189 per night for a Traditional Ocean View Room. To book, visit the website or call 888.INN.LOVE or 707.937.5942.
Additionally, every Sunday-Thursday through the end of March, LITTLE RIVER INN’S STORM WATCHER RATE offers Main Property Luxury Rooms at $189; Fireplace Rooms at $159; and Traditional Ocean View Rooms at $129. These rates are reflective of a 20 percent discount over rack card rates and require a two-night minimum stay.
While all guest rooms at the Little River Inn offer panoramic views ideal for private sightings of the spring whale migration, guests have the opportunity to get even closer to these majestic marine mammals with a whale-watching excursion. The Little River Inn has partnered with Telstar Charters, a licensed whale‑watching boat out of the Noyo Harbor. Costs for the trip is $35 per person and can be added on to any of the Little River Inn’s existing lodging packages.
***Note: Telstar Charters trips are daily throughout the month of March, weather permitting. The Charter may cancel trips due to weather conditions or if there are not enough advance reservations.
Lastly, the Little River Inn will celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Ole’s Whale Watch Bar, with Irish Flare dining, happy hour drink specials and live Celtic music on Tuesday, March 17, beginning at 5 p.m.
Please Note: Romantically-inclined guests can still take advantage of our RUSTIC ROMANCE PACKAGE, available for booking the last two weekends in February. The package includes:
- Two-night stay in an Ocean View Fireplace Room
- A romantic dinner for two
- Map to the “Kissing Benches of Little River”
- Little River Inn souvenir backpack and all the supplies you need for your adventure, including two LRI Logo Water Bottles, John Masters Organics Lip Calm and breath mints for puckering up, and a sweet treat of decadent fudge to savor the “sweet” moment with your sweetie
- Two hand-knit beanies from the Mendocino Yarn Shop to keep you warm and toasty during your adventure
- Opportunity to add room upgrades and massage services at additional costs
***Note: Hand-knit beanies are exclusive to the first three Rustic Romance packages reserved; all other packages will include a 10 percent-off discount card to be used to a purchase of choice at the Mendocino Yarn Shop.