- Sugary, acidic, and dark-colored food and drinks
- Not brushing
There are more smile darkeners but these are the most common culprits.
There are a several ways you can reduce the risk of tooth discoloration. Abstaining from the obvious causes being the most obvious. Other ways you can reduce tooth discoloration risks include:
- Use a straw when you’re drinking something acidic, dark-colored, or sugary.
- Wait 30 minutes to brush after you eat or drink. Acid causes the enamel on your teeth to become more vulnerable to abrasions so dentists recommend waiting at least 30 minutes to brush. Rinse your mouth (and teeth) with water in between eating/drinking and brushing.
- Maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine.
There are a few ways you can brighten your smile but they are not always practical/affordable. A professional dentist cleaning can cost upwards of $200. While it’s a good idea to have regular dentist check-ups at home care will save you in the long run.
Choosing an in-store solution like products from Colgate® is one option I love. Colgate provided us with the products pictured for editorial consideration. Colgate® Optic White™ is an affordable and effective option for whitening teeth. You can notice a difference in as little as 2 days and with regular use your smile will whiten without the expensive dental visit.
Colgate® offers a full line of products intended for tooth whitening. These products include:
- Optic White® Toothbrush + Whitening Pen
- Optic White® Express White Toothpaste
- Optic White® WhiteSeal Mouthwash
You can find these Optic White® products at Walmart, CVS, Rite-Aid, and other mass retailers. You can also buy these online at Amazon.com.