Remember how I was telling you about the Kids LiveWell challenge? Well the winners have been chosen and there are some mouth watering recipes for sure. Like the Swimming Fish Taco – hello goodness.
- UW Health chef John Williams won the National Restaurant Association’s Kids LiveWell Recipe Challenge with this recipe. He won in the independent noncommercial food service category.
1 piece of Tilapia (6 to 8 oz)
3 ounces of shredded cabbage
1 mango (Peeled and diced)
3 lime wedges
3 tsp chopped cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper on both sides. Cook the fish for 4 minutes undisturbed, then turn over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place fish on cutting board and cut into three equal pieces. Set aside.
- Place three corn and whole-wheat tortillas on a plate and sandwich them between two slightly dampened sheets of paper towel. Microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Place the warm tortillas on a plate and place a piece of each fish on the tortilla.
- Top with 1oz of shredded cabbage on each piece of fish, top with mango, cilantro and squeeze of fresh lime.
Other healthy menu winners are:
- Bean Sprouts Café & Cooking School – The DoReForMe Sandwich is organic multi grain oat bread spread with sunflower butter and organic strawberry jam and cut into piano keysized/shaped pieces, served with a skewer of grapes and water. The pumpernickel bread is cut into smaller pieces and placed on top of the wheat bread to represent black piano keys.
- O’Charley’s – The Cloudy with a Chance of Spaghetti and Meatball Pizza has grilled sirloin meatballs and spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and wholewheat pizza dough served with apple juice.
- Sysco Hampton Roads – The Kids Quesa WOW Dilla is a chicken quesadilla with broccoli, chicken, peppers and corn, served with a side of grapes and water.
Winners were presented with checks for $1,500 and if you look closely yes, that is Robert Irvine handing over the checks. So jealous!! I love that man.