If I had a quarter for everyone that has asked me how to get started blogging I’d have a huge pile of quarters. There are many ways to start a blog due to so many different platforms. For simplicity’s sake I’m going to focus on the self-hosted WordPress platform.
What is WordPress?
Whenever I am talking to someone about how to start a blog this question always pops up. What is WordPress? Well, WordPress is a CMS (Content Management System) for easily building and managing a website or blog.
Back in the day if you wanted a website you had to code (html, php, java, etc..) everything by hand. That is a bit tricky when you don’t even know what html, php, or java mean. WordPress allows you to bypass the more technical stuff and jump right into blogging. It’s incredibly easy to use and the learning curve isn’t as bad as you may think.
So… how do you start a blog?
Before we go more into WordPress, the first step to starting a blog is choosing a name/domain for your blog. This is your bread (the butter comes later) and should reflect what you intend to blog about and/or are passionate about.
Once you have a name in mind it’s time to register that name. To keep it simple we’ll register this domain with HostGator.
Once you have a registered domain (CONGRATULATIONS!!!) it’s time to set up hosting. You have a lot of hosting choices available but I highly recommend HostGator Optimized WordPress. It makes getting started blogging easier and faster since you don’t have to manually install WordPress.
When you choose HostGator you get:
- 24/7 live support via chat, phone, and email – you’re not alone. We’re here to help.
- One click WordPress installs – no messy downloading and uploading of files.
- One click and start easy to use website builder – drag and drop tools that make building a site super simple.
- Design services – don’t want to build your site? Let our pros do it for you.
- Marketing services (SEO and PPC) – want to generate traffic? Our in house experts want to help.
- Domains – HostGator is your one-stop-shop for domains!
Why HostGator Optimized WordPress?
I’m glad you asked! I have been with HostGator for as long as I have been blogging. I have had tried several other hosts and HostGator has always been the best in customer service, uptime, and speed.
The new HostGator Optimized WordPress is even faster with added security (less chance of your site getting hacked – yes, even new/small blogs get hacked.)
Benefits/Features of HostGator Optimized WordPress
- Automatic updates of plugins/theme/WordPress
- Sitelock malware scanning and removal
- Sitelock Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- CodeGuard daily backup and restores (down to the file level)
- HostGator Optimized WordPress is a new premium product and just a small extension to existing products provided by HostGator
Okay… now what?
Once you have your domain and HostGator Optimized WordPress accounts it’s time to push the magic button (Create Blog) to install WordPress.
After a few minutes your WordPress blog will be created and you can get started customizing the look of your blog, publishing content, and officially claim the title of blogger. Everything you need to manage your new WordPress install is at the touch of your mouse pointer.
Get Started Today
Now that you have the step-by-step directions to start a blog why not head over to HostGator to learn more and get started today!