Pumpkin spice is popping up everywhere lately! Apparently pumpkin spice is the it thing of fall so I jumped on the bandwagon.
Sitting at home in desperate need of groceries I started craving something sweet. Isn’t that how it works – you don’t want something until it isn’t available? I had no milk, no eggs, no butter. To say I was limited to what I could make was an understatement.
I did have yogurt; the same yogurt I binge bought and made this easy coffee cake with. I went scavenging through the cupboards to try to get inspired. I found a bottle of pumpkin pie spice which I immediately grabbed and sat on the counter.
I was making progress!
I found a box of unflavored gelatin, a can of pureed pumpkin and a canister of dried egg whites. I had sugar and some other basic ingredients.
Now I was cooking with fire!
With the limited ingredients I had on hand, and a trip to the store out of the question, I started brainstorming. It didn’t take long for me to decide on a mousse since they’re fairly simple to put together. Get started by adding 1 packet of unflavored gelatin to 1/4 cup of water. Don’t stir, just let the gelatin sit on top of the water.
In a large bowl combine 1 container of coffee flavored yogurt, 3 tablespoons of strong brewed coffee and 2 tablespoons of pureed pumpkin. Mix until everything is uniform.
Add water to the bottom pan of your double boiler and bring it to a boil. In the top pan mix your egg whites (6), sugar (2/3 cup) and salt (just a pinch) with a wire whisk. Continue to whisk occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is very hot (not quite boiling).
Add the gelatin to the egg mixture and whip on medium-high speed until it turns thick yet airy. This takes about 5 minutes so I recommend using a stand mixer.
Once the egg mixture has thickened it’s time to add the yogurt mixture. Dump it into the same bowl and either whisk until thoroughly combined or turn the mixer on for 15 seconds, just to incorporate the ingredients.
Sprinkle the tops with extra pumpkin pie spice when ready to serve and voila. A perfectly simple fall treat.
For even more ideas to quell that pumpkin spice craving check out the following recipes:
- DIY Pumpkin Spice from The Nerds Wife
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe from My Organized Chaos
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Maple Icing from Frugal Mom Eh
- Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles from Better in Bulk
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer from The Spring Mount 6 Pack
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispy Treats from Cute as a Fox
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins from Older Mommy Still Yummy
- another DIY Pumpkin Spice recipe (and several ideas for how to use it!) from Farmers Wife Rambles
- Overnight Slow Cooker Pumpkin Beer Bread with Crumb Topping from Crazy Adventures in Parenting
- Pumpkin Dip from The Neighborhood Moms
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix Cookies from Long Wait for Isabella
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa from My Wooden Spoon
- Pumpkin Pie Caramel Biscoff Cheesecake from Busy Mommy
- Pumpkin Pie Popcorn from Faithfully Free
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Pudding from This Mama Cooks
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from Dixieland Sweets
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies from Simply Being Mommy