Pregnancy is a time for joy and embracing the changes to come. Indeed, for many expectant moms, being pregnant is a wonderful experience: a time when they feel most beautiful and most at peace with themselves and the world. However, joyous though it may be, pregnancy can also be overwhelming. Take wardrobe, for example. Understandably, many pregnant women are a little daunted by the idea of dressing for two. Given the physical changes experienced during pregnancy, not to mention swelling and other symptoms, great maternity style can seem ever elusive.
Thankfully, there are a few tricks to looking great during pregnancy, and they’re listed below for your reading pleasure:
Your Maternity Wardrobe: The Basics
Like your pre-pregnancy wardrobe, your pregnancy style will require a few basic pieces. Start with maternity staples like the following, then mix and match your way to top-notch pregnancy style:
- Maternity leggings. Compression or maternity tights are essential to a stylish, modern, and perhaps most importantly, comfortable pregnancy wardrobe. These must-have items can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion, and will grow with you throughout your pregnancy. What’s more, maternity leggings provide benefits like support for the circulatory system, which can prevent swelling, tenderness and varicose veins. If you’re expecting, do yourself a favor, and stock up on these staples.
- Dresses. In the not-so-distant past, maternity dresses were basically tents. However, the modern expectant mom has lots of options. Maxi dresses are great choices, as are empire-waist numbers. And if you’re the daring type, go for a full body-conscious look with a wrap or bandage dress.
- Jeans. Like dresses, maternity jeans have made great strides in recent years. No matter your personal style, you’re bound to find some maternity denim that suits you. Bootleg styles work great for balancing out curves (or a blossoming belly), and dark washes are known for their slimming effects.
- Tops. A few must-have maternity tops include tanks, tunics and camisoles. For added comfort, look for compression tanks with tummy support.
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s move on to styling your maternity wardrobe. When striving for great pregnancy style, keep the following points in mind:
- Dress like yourself. To look and feel your best in maternity clothing, be sure to stay true to your own sense of style. While many women feel comfortable experimenting with different maternity looks, most prefer sticking to their own tried-and-true ways of dressing their best.
- Accessorize. One great way to stretch your maternity wardrobe is to have fun with accessories. Bags, jewelry, scarves and other pieces can totally change the look of a particular outfit, while making you feel like a million bucks.
- Layering. Layering can be a valuable fashion tool for expectant moms. By mixing and matching staples like maternity leggings, tops and outerwear, you can turn a few pieces of clothing into an extensive wardrobe.
- Borrow and trade. If you know any new moms, enlist their help in finding great maternity clothes. One great idea is to trade a pre-pregnancy piece for a maternity item; after delivery, return all piece to their original owners.
- Get thrifty. Thrift stores can offer lots of goodies to moms-to-be. Check your local thrift and consignment shops for great maternity pieces, and save cash in the process. Most maternity items are very gently worn, but be sure to inspect before you buy.
Although dressing for two can be challenging, it is possible to do it in style. With the tips provided here, moms-to-be can dress their best, not to mention feel beautiful and confident, throughout pregnancy. Good luck!